Pages

Chickens in the yard

Chickens in the yard
Buff Orphington

October 01, 2010

Lost eggs

I lost my eggs!

 Let me explain. I bought some straw for the hen house and put the extra under the nest box I thought it would be safe there from the torrential rains. But then for a few day my egg count was off. Each day I check for eggs and currently with only 3 hens laying I usually find 3 eggs each day. But for the past few day that hasn't happened. I thought maybe the rain had some thing to do with it. You see normally hens will lay eggs in the same nest, they like to share. They will lay their eggs in one nest in an attempt to reach a certain number then they will brood on the nest trying to hatch the eggs. Well low and behold I found 6 eggs today all cosy in the nest they had made out of the extra straw. No worries about baby chicks hatching from our eggs, they are all sterile.

No comments:

Post a Comment